02/10/2018 - 7:45 AM - 4:00 PM
Devry University, Sherman Oaks Galleria
Speakers: Tom Crea, Matthew Moran, Rodrigo Goncalves
Topic: Servant Leadership, Cloudbased Collaboration and Agile Practical PM Tools
This one-day workshop is for anyone interested in growing their leadership and project management skills, learning practical applications, and taking themselves to the next level. The workshop will cover Servant Leadership & Creating a Culture for Winning Teams, Cloud-based Collaboration Tools & Strategies, and Agile and Practical PM Tools.
Session # 1 Topic: Servant Leadership & Creating a Culture for Winning Teams
“40% of first-time managers fail within the first 18 months”
What’s the difference between being a manager, and being a leader? Where can you learn leadership? National polls consistently reflect that our society rates its military officers at the top of our nation’s most trusted leaders. Why do so many famous authors use military examples to address leadership? Fundamentals.
Values are like magnets. They are what a company markets to attract like-minded people… recruiting. When you live your values, you create a unique culture and retain your best and brightest… retention.
Are YOU that bright light, a beacon, inspiring and guiding your team?
In the workshop you will:
- Recognize that people choose friends and join organizations for a reason
- Discover why living your values is what inspires others to do the same
- Realize that self-awareness is the key to achieving your responsibilities as a leader
Creating a Culture for Winning Teams
“Only 39% of projects succeed”
A metaphor for achieving organizational goals within budget, every project manager wants to arrive “On Time, On Target.” With so many variables that can derail an effort, managers who learn to empower, delegate, and develop individuals will accomplish more. When you establish a learning environment and create a culture that inspires members to work together and achieve, you transform yourself into a trusted leader.
On several eventful flights, we will traverse critical checkpoints on your journey and discuss fundamental aspects of leadership, teamwork, and communication critical for your success.
In the workshop you will:
- Understand the difference between authority & responsibility (Leadership)
- Recognize the importance of building relationships (Teamwork)
- Learn that everyone has a different vantage point or perspective (communication)
Session #2 Topic: Cloud-based Collaboration Tools & Strategies
This workshop explores both techniques and technologies to help project managers and their teams communicate more efficiently and Seamlessly.
In the workshop you will learn:
- How to introduce and gain adoption of new technologies across your teams.
- Why email is an ineffective project communication tool and ways to use email more effectively.
- About Glip, Hipchat, and Slack - real-time conversation-driven platforms for project specific communication and file-sharing.
- Long-form document and file-sharing using Google Drive.
- How to adopt and codify communication frameworks and document library for more cohesive team interaction
- And more...
Session #3 Topic: Agile and Practical PM Tools
Explores how to apply Agile ceremonies and its principles into projects, tools and techniques used and how they correlate with PMBOK best practices.
In the workshop you will learn:
- What is Agile and how it is different from the “traditional project management”?
- Why use Agile and what are the benefits of using it?
- How to manage projects using Agile and how different it is?
- Which tools and techniques can be used to support the project management?
About the Instructors
Tom Crea has a B.S. & M.C.S. in Computer Science and a M.A. in Political Science. He became a decorated Army officer and Blackhawk helicopter pilot and operated at the highest levels within the Department of Defense. He was hand selected to run the ROTC officers leadership development program at two colleges, the same program that he completed years earlier.
“… we transformed college students into Army leaders, ready to lead soldiers successfully into war” - Tom Crea
Tom is a strong and engaging speaker with vast experience and insight in working with all levels of military, civilian, and contract staff. Over the years, Tom has directed his skills to the private sector turning diverse, often conflicted staff into focused, mission oriented team members.
His frontline and “in the trenches” experience in the military, information technology, and higher education enable him to keep audiences on the edge of their seats while they master the simple principles of the Blackhawk leadership way.
Tom is the author of “Unleash Your Values: How to Lead and Succeed in Business Today… A Helicopter Pilot’s Spin on Developing the Leader in You”
Reviews of Tom Crea’s book “Unleash Your Values: How to Lead and Succeed in Business Today… A Helicopter Pilot’s Spin on Developing the Leader in You” at:
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/BlackhawkConsultingGroupBethelPark
Matthew Moran is an entrepreneur, business & technology consultant, published author, and songwriter. His career has spanned many industries and organizations including: Blue Cross of California (Anthem), HealthNet, Latham & Watkins (legal), Waste Management (refuse and recycling), Maracay Homes (home building and real estate), NBC/Universal (entertainment & media), and others. He is the author of Building Your IT Career – published by Pearson. The book teaches soft-skills, communication, project management, and other high-value career strategies for IT professionals. It is used in colleges worldwide.
Matt is also a songwriter & performer. He lives in Los Angeles with his daughters, too many dogs, and whatever critter they are rescuing this week.
Rodrigo Goncalves is a Senior Project Manager / Customer Delivery Manager with more than 15 years of experience in the field with a Master’s degree and certifications such as: PMP, ITIL, Java and Scrum Master he has unique skills that connects business, technology and design towards successful product deliveries.
Working for 8 years at IBM delivering critical Cyber Security projects and now at Enterprise Alumni responsible to revolutionize the recruiting process of huge companies such as: SAP, Lufthansa, Ernst & Young, HSBC, Nestle, Bechtel, and more. Rodrigo was also a professor in universities in Brazil and now he was approved as a Program Evaluator (visiting universities around the globe to evaluate their programs) at ABET on behalf of their 35 member societies (IEEE, CSAB, and many others).
- 7:45 AM - 8:30 AM - Registration start & Light Breakfast & Networking
- 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM - Servant Leadership & Creating a Culture for Winning Teams, Tom Crea
- 10:30 AM - 10:45 AM - Break & Networking
- 10:45 AM - 12:45 PM - Cloud-based Collaboration Tools & Strategies, Matthew Moran
- 12:50 AM - 1:50 PM - Lunch Break & Networking
- 2:00 AM - 4:00 PM - Agile and Practical PM Tools, Rodrigo Pinto Goncalves
Light Breakfast and Lunch
Early Bird Discount, until January 20, 11:59 PM
- $75 - for PMI-LA Members (must be logged in to get discount)
- $80 - for non-members
After January 20, 11:59 PM
- $85 - for PMI-LA Members (must be logged in to get discount)
- $90 - for non-members
- 4 PDUs - Technical Project Management
- 1 PDUs - Leadership
- 1 PDUs - Strategic & Business Management
Postponement / Cancelation
This event may be canceled or postponed, though all efforts will be made to avoid doing so. If canceled or postponed, notification will be made to all registrants via email.
Sherman Oaks Galleria
15301 Ventura Blvd, Room 105
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
Weekend daily maximum is $3
- No validation is required for this rate
- No designated parking area; parking is open per general Galleria parking availability
Question or Comments