Announcing New Vijey Kumar Scholarships
Applications open August 1 – 31, 2018
In honor of one of our long term volunteers, Vijey Kumar, PMI Los Angeles Chapter Board of Directors is very proud to announce that we will award 4 scholarships of up to $1,000 again this year.
All PMI-LA Chapter members are eligible if they are in good standing for 3 months or more. We will also accept applications for a project management course that has already been taken in the past 12 months (from August 1, 2017).
Please read the information and FAQs, and submit your application to the Scholarship Committee by August 31, 2018.
Any questions can be sent to email@example.com
Vijey Kumar Scholarship 2018 - Application Form.docx
The Los Angeles Chapter of the Project Management Institute (PMI-LA) has established this scholarship fund to honor the memory of Vijey Kumar. Vijey joined PMI and PMI-Los Angeles in May 1990, attaining his PMP in January 1991 (PMP #708). He was a construction Project Manager who worked for Los Angeles World Airports and on many other projects around California. In 2000-2001, he volunteered for the PMI-Los Angeles Board as the Associate VP of Professional Development. From 2002-2007 he served as VP of Finance until he moved away from Los Angeles. In 2012 he returned to Los Angeles and to the VP of Finance position where he remained until March 2013, when due to health reasons, he retired. He passed away in 2014 at the age of 66. Vijey was a family man. He was a loving husband, father and grandfather as well as a perennial marathoner. Vijey took great care of his wife whose ailments inspired their son to become a doctor.
It is with gratitude and fondest memories of having shared volunteerism with this humble person that we dedicate this scholarship fund to his legacy and to the footprints he left in our hearts. PMI-LA has created these annual scholarships to encourage the spirit of volunteerism that was so much a part of Vijey’s life. He showed dedication and honesty and the highest of ethics in all his contributions to the chapter. To that spirit this scholarship is dedicated.
PMI-LA Chapter has established the Vijey Kumar scholarship fund to recognize continuing member and volunteer commitment to the chapter and to encourage our members to improve their lives professionally through project management education or certification. The third set of scholarships will be awarded in the fall of 2018.
The program is administered by the PMI-LA Scholarship Committee made up of 3 appointees/ Trustees.
Note: Committee members may not be considered for a scholarship while they are serving.
Who is eligible?
PMI-LA Chapter members in good standing for 3 months or more, and especially:
- Members in transition (short term or long term)
- Members from the military services
- Members who are students
- Members who wish to advance their project management skills
What are the details?
- There will be four scholarships of $1,000 available in the current year
- The scholarship is intended to be used only for a course related to project management
- Participants can only submit ONE request per year, up to the value of $1,000
- if the cost is more, the participant will pay the difference
- if the cost is less, there will be no refund or transfer to the next year or another person
- You can submit an application for a project management course that has been taken in the past 12 months (from August 1, 2017) or is coming up during the application process - but there is no guarantee that you will receive a scholarship
- If your course is being paid for by external sources (company etc) you would not be eligible for a scholarship
- Scholarship recipients need to pay for the course up front, and submit a transcript or certificate of completion and proof of payment for reimbursement. The Chapter will process payments as soon as possible (normally within 1 calendar month). Please note there may be tax implications
- You must fill out an application form with your details, proposed class, estimated cost (for instruction and learning materials), and a short justification.
Note: Chapter will not pay travel expenses
- Late submissions will not be considered
- We expect recipients to make every effort to complete (and pass, if certification course) the class
- Must meet eligibility requirements
- Priority will be given to applicants that have not previously received a scholarship from PMI-LA Chapter
- Preference will be given to volunteers who have completed 6 months and/or 25 hours service over the past 12 months (from August 1, 2017)
- Other things being equal, the justification (why you want a scholarship from the LA Chapter and what it will be used for) will be used as the deciding factor
- The selection process will not be influenced or affected by the actual or perceived race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, gender or sexual orientation of any applicant
- Scholarship requests will open on August 1, 2018 and close on August 31, 2018
- Apply online using the attached form. Submissions must be received by 11:59pm on August 31, 2018
- The Committee will meet to review all submissions, based on the selection criteria, and issue their decisions to potential candidates before the end of September, 2018
How and when will I be notified?
- Notification to all candidates will be sent via email by September 28th, 2018
- This is a competitive program. Not all candidates will be selected as recipients. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final
How and when are scholarships paid?
- Scholarship recipient will take the course, pay for it themselves in advance, and submit expenses for reimbursement (up to a maximum of $1,000) to the Chapter
- Payment will be made in one installment by the PMI-LA Chapter
- Checks will be mailed from PMI-LA Finance to each recipient’s home address, once course has been completed & chapter has received a transcript of the course or certificate of completion & an invoice for reimbursement
What are a recipient’s responsibilities?
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below
- Recipients must return a completed signed Form (and justification no longer than 500 words) by the indicated deadline of August 31, 2018
- Recipients must notify the Committee of any change in address, school enrollment, or other relevant information
- Recipients must complete the course proposed on the form (unless there are any extenuating circumstances, in which case they should inform the Committee as soon as possible) and send a transcript after the course has been completed with their request for reimbursement
- Along with course completion & proof of payment, recipient will be expected to answer a brief questionnaire to provide feedback on the scholarship program
The Chapter reserves the right to publish details of scholarship recipients on their website and through their communication channels.
This scholarship is to be reviewed on an annual basis to determine its contribution to the chapter and / or to update as appropriate.
Please submit your completed (signed and dated) application form via email to the Scholarship Committee firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 31, 2018.
You will receive an acknowledgement that we have received your application.
Applicants will be notified if they have been successful or not by Friday September 28th
Vijey Kumar Scholarships - FAQs
Q: What is a “member in good standing”? Do you have to be a member for more than a year?
A: We will consider any member that has paid his/her dues to the Chapter and PMI-LA, but preference will be given to long term volunteers first.
Q: Can I submit an application to get a refund on a class I have already taken?
A: if it is within the past 12 months, and you meet the eligibility requirements as of the start of the class and selection criteria.
Q: Will I have to pay tax if I receive a scholarship?
A: Please consult your accountant or tax preparer for any tax implications.
Q: What if I want to take a class while the Committee is still reviewing my application?
A: You can go ahead and pay for the class yourself with the understanding that there will be no guarantee that you would be awarded a scholarship to pay for the class.
Q: Do I have to pay for the class up front and then claim the money back? (if I am in transition, can the Chapter pay for the class?)
A: Yes, you have to pay for the class up front and submit information for reimbursement.
Q: How long will I have to wait for a refund from the Chapter?
A: After we receive transcripts or certificate of completion and proof of payment, reimbursement payment from PMI-LA Finance will be processed as soon as possible, normally within 1 calendar month.
Q: Can I apply for a scholarship if I already received one from the Chapter in a previous year?
A: Yes you can apply, but we will give priority to members that have not received a scholarship at all, provided that they meet the eligibility criteria.
Q: Can I take any type of project management class?
A: Yes, however, preference will be given to participants who take classes run, or advertised, by the PMI-LA Chapter.
Q: Does it have to be a class at an accredited university?
A: No, but preference will be given to applicants who want to take PMI-LA classes.
Q: Can I use the $1,000 towards a degree program or masters?
A: Yes, if it is related to project management, but you will have to pay the additional costs.
Q: Can I take several classes up to the value of $1,000?
A: No, the scholarship is only for one class per person per year.
Q: Can I take an online class?
A: Yes, if it is relevant to project management.
Q: Do I have to take the class this year or can I postpone and wait until the class I want comes up next year?
A: You need to take the class in the current calendar year (for Chapter budgeting purposes).
Q: Can I apply if I am a PMI-LA Chapter member but live outside Los Angeles (or out of state)?
A: Yes, the scholarships are open to all LA Chapter members in good standing.
Q: What if I start the class, but due to unforeseen circumstances, cannot complete it?
A: We will only reimburse you if you complete the class, submit transcripts, and proof of payment. You should let the Committee know if you have a change of circumstances.
Q: What happens if I don’t pass the class (or exam)?
A: We will only reimburse you if you complete the class, submit transcripts, and proof of payment.
Q: How do I receive reimbursement?
A: Submit transcripts, or certificate of completion and proof of payment, as the Chapter needs to have documentation for an audit trail. Payment will be made as soon as possible, usually within 1 calendar month.
Q: What if I don’t receive a scholarship this year; can I apply again next time?
A: Yes, if we run the scholarships next time, you can apply again.
Q: Can I apply for a scholarship each year?
A: Yes, but priority will be given to those that haven’t received one at all.
For additional questions, please send an email to the Scholarship Committee email@example.com
Please submit your completed (signed and dated) application form via email to the Scholarship Committee firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, August 31, 2018